Skip to main content

Fertiliser sales record growth in August (Daily Dawn)


Fertiliser sales record growth in August


KARACHI, Sept 30: In the last two days, most brokerage houses (BMA, InvestCap, JS, KASB, Summitcapital, Topline and others) have come up with reports on the fertiliser sector following the release of monthly off-take numbers for August 2011 by the National Fertiliser Development Centre (NFDC).
Analysts at KASB commented: “So far, no progress has been made on gas curtailment issue which can reduce or eliminate need for import and ensure availability of urea from local production.
NFDC expects the government to import 0.8 million tons during 4Q11 which can potentially require a subsidy of Rs26 billion.”
Analyst Mohammad Sarfraz Abbasi at Summitcapital pointed out that among urea producers, Engro led the sector with 39pc YoY growth in off-take. FFBL and Engro posted increase of 80pc YoY and 19pc YoY respectively in DAP off-take during
8MCY11.
Asad Siddiqui at Investcapital said that urea production during August stood at 484,000 tons (up 11pc MoM), highest level of production in a single month during CYTD, mainly owing to 35pc MoM expansion in Engro’s production as ‘Engro EnVen’ and other Fertiliser plants on SNGP network received improved gas supply during the month.
The off-take numbers for August released by the NFDC showed that the total Fertiliser off-take stood at 767,000 tons, up 84pc YoY and 1pc MoM.
Analysts said that the growth was mainly attributable to low base of last year due to country-wide floods and addition of Engro’s new plant.
Consequently, cumulative off-take in 8M2011 rose to 5.1m tons, up 4pc YoY.
Urea sales rose by 84pc YoY and 15pc MoM to 556,000 tons in August.
Low base effect of last year due to country-wide floods and addition of Engro’s new 1.3 million tons urea plant this year were the main reasons for the growth in urea sales. However, cumulative off-take in 8M2011 (January-August) declined by 4pc
YoY mainly on account of enhanced gas curtailment and additional shutdown for the SNGPL powered Fertiliser plants during February-March period.
Those numbers were likely to contract going forward as winter gas load management by the government takes off.
With regard to major fertiliser manufacturers, FFC and Engro’s urea off-take improved massively to 203,000 tons (up 109pc YoY) and 150,000 tons (up 383pc YoY), respectively in August. This huge jump in offtakes was witnessed due to low base of last year and incremental sales coming in from Engro’s new plant.
FFBL’s off-take, too, improved by 12pc YoY to 36k tons.
DAP sales witnessed a significant increase of 53pc YoY as total sales stood at 77,000 tons. The increase in off-take was accounted for by a low base effect of last year which was marred by floods.
Cumulative DAP off-take in 8M2011 (January-August) witnessed an increase of 23pc YoY to stand at 521,000 tons.
DAP off-take, however, fell sharply by 42pc MoM to 77,000 tons during August. Urea off-take escalated by almost 100pc
MoM at 81,000 tons.
Bilal Qamar at JS said that his house continued to remain upbeat on the Fertiliser sector ahead of the result season. Improved offtakes along with higher fertiliser prices were likely to boost the bottom lines of the fertiliser companies. Nonetheless, gas load management in winter remained a key concern.
Farhan Mahmood of Topline commented that on the price front urea prices which increased by 12pc MoM at retail level during August could rise in October as Rabi season was round the corner.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dark days for fertiliser industry continue

Dark days for fertiliser industry continue Published: December 28, 2011 Sales of urea, the most widely used fertiliser, declined by 5% in the period from January to November 2011 due to persistent gas outages faced by manufacturers which has led to a drop in production levels. The four plants which are on the Sui Northern Gas Pipelines Limited network remained the main victims of the chaotic situation due to gas shortage. The dark days are expected to continue as the government in a new gas load management plan has agreed to cut-off gas supply to the four plants on the SNGPL-based pipeline. The four plants include Engro Corporation’s Enven, Pak-Arab Fertilizer, Agritech Fertilizer and Dawood Hercules Fertilizer. Similarly, another fertilizer, di-ammonia phosphate (DAP) witnessed a decline in sales by 18% to 1.01 million tons on a yearly basis against 1.24 million tons in the same period last year, according to data released by National Fertiliser Development Centre on Tuesday....

Corporate results: Pak Suzuki posts lower than expected results

                           Corporate results: Pak Suzuki posts lower than expected results By  Farhan Zaheer Published: October 31, 2013 Pak Suzuki sold 59,292 cars in 9MCY13 compared to 69,589 in the same period of last year, down by a significant 15% YoY. PHOTO: FILE KARACHI:  Pak Suzuki Motor Company – the biggest automobile manufacturer by market share in Pakistan – has posted a handsome earning of Rs371 million in the July-September quarter, against a loss of Rs193 million in the corresponding period last year. The company recorded per share earnings of Rs4.51 in the third quarter of 2013 against a loss per share of Rs2.35 last year. In comparison to the third quarter of previous year, the company’s gross profit increased significantly to Rs890 million against a negative growth of Rs49 million. However analysts had projected better results, blaming the ...

Why Imran Khan is so obsessed with investigating last 10 years national debt?

The country went gaga over the announcement of the Prime Minister that after putting focus of the government to stabilize the economy he is all set to go after those who are responsible of leaving the country massively indebted. The nation felt the heat of Prime Minister’s ambition for the across the board accountability when he said he could not be blackmailed with protests. He further showed his determination by saying even if my life goes, I will not leave these thieves alone - I had prayed to God to give me one chance. The Prime Minister told the nation that he is going to form a high-powered inquiry commission with a one point agenda to diagnose how did the previous governments increase the debt by Rs . 24,000 billion to Rs.30,000 billion from Rs.6,000 billion merely in 10 years? The Prime Minister further unleashed his game plan by elaborating the possible formation of the commission which shall consist of the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) , Intelligence Bureau ( ...